Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Nancy Drew and The Case of The Phantom Fat-Girl Adjustments

One of the oddball recurring issues I have now is reaching around to assure myself that:
1) My shirt isn't riding up
2) My pants aren't so low that my underwear band is showing, e.g. The Marky Mark Look

I feel like they are, the long-standing curse of being too big or clothes being a touch too small or a combination thereof, but it turns out it's like the phantom limb phenomenon (thanks, as always, Wikipedia), only, y'know, for 40+ lbs of missing kitty litter. I should grow my network of Weightlossians to see if it's a wide-spread issue affecting the community, or if I'm simply haunted by my missing butts.



I tried to be bold and brave and shared the below photo on the Gwynnie Bee Facebook wall:
Sunday casual look
I love this top: it's not quite a faux wrap, because it has a side tie belt, but it doesn't give me the jitters like a full-on wrap would. Also, the pattern is funky fresh and awesome.

I liked it so much, I wore it to work the next day with my "new" Isaac Mizrahi for Target pencil skirt from eBay (which is a heavier fabric and also the zipper is frustrating and catches, so I don't know how many more wears it will get before being retired or resold).
Monday work look



I'm going to yoga tonight for the first time in about two months. I sincerely hope I can remember how to do things and stuff. At least I know I can officially do a side plank (for about five seconds).

12 comments:

  1. Lookin' good! Good luck at yoga! Last week we did "kissing toes", where you make your toes touch each other but not in any way the occurs in nature. Mine got about 4 inches from each other, which I'm calling a win :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly hope they don't have us do that pose tonight.

      You're great. Your cheerleading is cute. My shower puff is amazing.

      Delete
  2. Take your skirt to Ingrid (the shop next to Gallimaufry Gallery), or the dry cleaners just down the street a bit. Either one will replace that zipper for a good price. I have the same Mizrahi pencil skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you know what I'm talking about, right? It's so flimsy and it doesn't seem like it's catching the lining, but it fights getting zipped up. So weird. I will pop into Ingrid--I've been wanting to do that for ages anyway. Thanks, Sam!

      Delete
    2. I sent you a fb pm, Ingrid happened to stop in today.

      Delete
  3. I'm very in love with your top. Both outfits are very cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that was a hard one to send back. After looking at some of the other tops and dresses available in the Peter Nygard line, the awesomeness of that top sort of seems like an anomaly.

      Delete
  4. That top was AMAZEBALLS.

    40+ pounds of kitty litter. What a great way of realizing just how much weight you have lost. Kitty litter always seems heavier than anything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you slapped my cyberhand for "selfie," but apparently, "amazeballs" is totally acceptable. I am shaking my head at you in thorough disappointment.

      Delete
  5. I finally have a Blogger so I can comment! Maybe. We'll see. (I'm ndnickerson on LJ.)

    You look so cute in your awesome top! :) And yes, it feels weird to me to wear clothes - in general, and in that I feel like anything tight probably isn't flattering when sometimes it is. (Sometimes it isn't.) I also tend to see myself the way I used to look in the mirror, and when I was much larger, I saw myself as smaller - now that I'm smaller, I see myself as bigger. Oh body dysmorphia. I do not love you at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Thank you for the compliment, and thank you for verifying that sometimes the adjustment to "fitted" vs "doesn't fit" can be strange. And while I wouldn't call it body dysmorphia, I have to say I still see myself in "large" in many ways, e.g. even though I know my stomach is smaller, it still looks enormous to me at time.

      Delete
  6. Jessie, you look fantastic. Absolutely fantastic.

    ReplyDelete