Monday, March 25, 2013

Weekend Roundup

First things first:
(from l. to r.) Trumper aka Chunker, Tux

The picture is deceiving. I know you want to say "Awwwwww." I sure did. Even though this accidental-Ross-and-Joey-nap thing keeps happening with the two of them--it happened last night as well--inevitably, Tux gets all saucy and swats at Trumper, which Trumper does not truck with. Plum can bully him all she likes because she's the alpha, but this scrawny little interloper? No, sir! So Trumper hisses crabbily at Tux, and then Tux runs away.

But anyway: awwwwwwwwwww. It's cute.

I did a shift at PAWS on Sunday morning, and I sort of wished Tux were there. He would've been adopted for sure. The kitten room is sparse right now as we await the depressing miracle of life that happens each spring when a skillion million stray mama cats are brought into CACC and have litters of kittens. There were several families in looking specifically for a kitten. I don't understand it myself. Sure, they're cute, but they are also hyper, have needly teeth, and are often destructive idiots.

Then again: they are sometimes named Rainbow Unicorn. So there's that.




On the Couch to 5K front, I had my first successful 25-minutes-with-no-walking run. It was very poky, and I had an internal debate that raged for well over two minutes about whether or not I should/could just take 60 seconds to walk around minute 20. Then I became distracted by my playlist, and pretty soon, I was done.

Well, I was also distracted by the gazelle with the Pantene-perfect ponytail on the treadmill opposite me who was running so hard she was making that THUNK-THUNK-THUNK noise that speedy people make when they outpace the treadmill and end up running onto the stand. I was sort of thinking of ways I could maintain my poky pace and throw my towel at her.

I know: I shouldn't compare myself to others and Just Do It and Believe In Yourself and all that other stuff. But seriously: shut up, Gazelle.

I am going to BodyFit tonight, which will be nice. Beyond doing some of my Skinnygirl hand-weight stuff at home, I've been kind of lax on that front for the past seven days or so.



I probably should focus on all the healthy food I ate last week--I'm really trying to do what my former doctor encouraged several years ago and fill my plate at least 50% with green vegetables, even if it's just at dinner--but instead, I have to tell you all I had a cashew sea salt turtle from Amy's Candy Bar, and it was the bomb, yo.
A picture, despite what they told us in our youth, does not make it last longer.
I ate it while walking home from the Damen Brown Line, which made at least 5 of the 20 minutes of my walk fly by. :-)

Also, before the Aziz Ansari show--which was hilarious, of course-- I went out with Allison and friends to the Uncommon Ground in Rogers Park and had an amazing chopped salad, which sounds healthy, but I am pretty sure there was a goodly portion of Gorgonzola on it that sort of undid the health benefits of the lettuce and the cucumbers. I did manage to have tea in place of one of the fabulous-sounding cocktails. You win some, you lose some. But mostly, you wish you had another caramel sea salt turtle right this very minute.



Here's my favorite outfit from last week:

That's a Charter Club wrap dress from Gwynnie Bee with a green "color pop" tank as a cleavage-protector. It's too bad you can't see the accent buttons; they were my favorite bit!

I'm really enjoying my Gwynnie Bee account--thanks again, Kristen, for becoming an advocate or an affiliate or whatever you are--and I'm hoping that between that and doing some thrifting in the next few weeks at Plato's Closet and Goodwill and eBay, I can manage to get through my fluctuating size for the next few weeks without blowing an exorbitant amount of money.


My brother Tony called me last week to mention he tries to leave comments on my booger, but that he doesn't think it is working because he doesn't have a "Google Facebook YouTube" account (a joke courtesy of my other brother Andy, who loves making amalgam tech-and-'Net terms). It's too bad, because I'd be interested to hear what Tony has to say. :-)

Oh, and Joy: I am LOVING my new dishes. Much like Johnny Cash's beloved Cadillac, I am taking them home one piece at a time, but thus far, my mugs and small plates are home. I have officially boxed up all my promotional coffee mugs and the small plates I inherited from my parents about 20 years ago and can't wait until their bowl-and-diner-plate brethren join them.

2 comments:

  1. Ugh. WHERE DID MY COMMENT GO??

    To recap:
    -I love that you completed your 25-minutes because you got distracted by revenge plans.
    -Yay, that was my favorite outfit too.
    -The worst part of commenting (besides when they get lost, ARGH) is the anti-spam thing. My old-lady eyes cannot see those number pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be a small comfort to Tony that it is also BloggerBooTumblrManTuberGoogle users who struggle to leave comments :-)

      If I didn't currently have 60+ garments in my closet, I'd try to get that wrap dress back. It is really flattering and so functional. I think it would look great for a going-out-to-dinner look too.

      Delete